Sunday, April 8, 2018

Fats Domino

Fats Domino gets his own entry in this blog because it's the last album I listened to tonight, when I started this whole journal. "This is Fats," is apparently his third album and it's the first one I couldn't locate in whole on Apple Music. All the tracks were there, just not in the order of the original album. So my listening to it was a little scattershot as I hunted and poked for the tracks in a huge listing. There are some big, very well known tracks here, including "Blueberry Hill," and "Blue Monday," but for me, the track that really stood out was, "Rocking and a Rolling." It was soulful, heavy and just damned good. This is the kind of music that you can just tell made people sit up and listen. There's a certain something to it that, even if you know nothing about the era or the music of the times, this music means something. Just shy of actual rock and roll and mostly sticking to the good old 1 4 5 blues progression, this is still obviously the base structure of rock. Some amazing stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment