Tuesday, April 10, 2018

#10 Thelonious Monk "Brilliant Corners"

This is more of what I think of when I think of jazz, that kind of smokey, coffee-scented kind of music that came from dark nightclubs of the past. Never listened to Monk before though I know he is one of THE names of the genre. I can see, more and more, why people were and are drawn to jazz. There are colors, there are feelings, none of which are concrete, distinct. It's kind of like abstract art, which I generally like very much. This is music of that time, when the abstract impressionists held sway. I kind of wish I could go back to one of those jazz clubs just for one night. This is a somewhat 'perfect' version of one of those nights, but is also likely as close as I'll ever get. Glad I took the chance on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment