Wednesday, May 16, 2018

#34 The Beatles "With the Beatles"

Ok, I told myself I wasn't going to listen to any Beatles records in this list. Why? Because I've heard them all before SO many times. I don't think there is any other band that is more overplayed than the Beatles. But. But...I threw on "Meet the Beatles" because it was next on the list and I was instantly tapping my fingers and whistling along. Even if you don't like the Beatles, there is just something that grabs me from the beginning. Not every track is a winner here, but damn, compared to the other things I'm listening to from the same era, you can tell there's a certain sound, a certain GRAB that's going on here that is going to make people sit up and take notice. Even weaker tracks like "Don't Bother Me" are better than some other bands' A tracks. Sure, there are a lot of covers in their early days, but their versions tend to be the ones people remember. IF there's any crit here, it's that some songs are too short and the sound fades out too soon. And... 'Til There was You" is not their song. All those nights spent playing in Germany really paid off for these kids. I'm sure you've heard of them.

1 comment:

  1. I am also not a fan of the Beatles. I had couple friends who were really into them growing up and one went on to love Wings as well, if you can believe that! I don't hate them either - just not my thing. I don't have a lot of affection for pop songs as a rule but they made some of the most enduring ones!

    ReplyDelete